Aliases are a Jetstream feature used by the RFID Handheld Reader to add additional information to inventory scans via the included Inventory App. An Alias is essentially a tag, or descriptor, that can be made available to any number of RFID Handheld Devices, so that the user of the device may select one from the list of assigned aliases to submit along with an RFID inventory scan.
Aliases can be selected by the device user to add context to an inventory scan, such as a specific account, location, or even a status related to the scan.
For example, you may have several rooms in a certain facility each with RFID-tagged inventory. Without Aliases, you would need to have a separate device for each room in order to keep the inventory scans distinct for each room. With aliases, If you create an Alias for each room, then assign these aliases to each RFID Handheld Device at the facility, users can select the Alias matching the room they are scanning, so when the scan is submitted, your integration will know not just which device scanned the inventory, but where the device was scanning.
Aliases are only used by the RFID Handheld Reader. While Jetstream will not stop you from adding an alias to other types of devices, they will not have any use for the alias.
Aliases can be viewed and managed on the My Device Aliases page available from the Admin Console menu.
Users will be able to see all aliases that are in the Jetstream application currently selected in their profile.
To view an alias's details, click the name of the alias. In the details page you will all the available information and commands for that alias. The top gray box contains general info about the alias, as well as a list of applicable action buttons on the top right.
- Name* - The unique name of the alias.
- Region* - The general region of the world where the alias will be used. A RFID Handheld Device can only use Aliases that share the same region as the device. This value cannot be edited. To change a region, delete and re-add the alias.
- Number of Devices - The total number of devices that currently are assigned this Alias.
- Inventory - The last time an ObjectEvent was reported with this Alias.
- Number of Items - The total number of RFID tags in the the last ObjectEvent that was reported with this Alias.
- Delete this Alias - See Deleting Aliases below.
- Inventory Tab- Contains a list of all RFID tags currently considered in the alias and a last updated time.
- Last Updated - The date and time that a change to the Alias's inventory was reported.
- The list of all RFID Tag EPC's (Electronic Product Codes) currently in the device's inventory, as calculated by the latest ObjectEvent plus or minus any AggregateEvent adds and removes.
The Devices tab contains a list of all devices to which an Alias is currently available. Remember that only RFID Handheld Devices can actually use an Alias.
The Events tab displays all objectevents including, and configuration related to, the alias over the past 30 days. Click the Event Id number to see the complete details of the event in its original JSON formatting.
You can add an alias using the Create an Alias API endpoint, or you can add an alias via Admin Console (which makes the call to Create an Alias with your user access key for you).
To add an alias:
- Press "Add Alias" in the top left of the Device Aliases page.
- Enter an Alias Name. The name must be universally unique across all Jetstream applications, not just your own. The name can contain numbers, letters, and the _ character. No spaces or other special characters are allowed.
- Select a Region. This must match the region of any device you intend to add the Alias to.
- Click Save Changes to finish adding the alias. The alias will now appear in the aliases table.
- On the My Device Aliases page, click the alias name link for the alias you wish to delete.
- On the Alias Details page that opens, click the delete icon in the top right.
- In the "Delete Device Alias" confirmation window that appears, click "Delete Device Alias" to confirm the deletion of the alias. This cannot be undone. Clicking "Cancel" or the X in the top right of the window will not delete the alias.